Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday at the Millenium

After yesterday's exhausting non-chase from Denver to Boulder, we decided to take it down a notch and take a non-chase off day. After tolerating the brutal conditions of the Boulder Courtyard, John wanted to experience a bit of luxury. He recalled a fine place right on the Boulder Creek, called The Millenium. The days of $29 rooms during storm chases are officially over.

After checking in and moving to our near-creekside room (shrub view) it occurred to me that this was the very same hotel I had snuck into mid-run Saturday to use the bathroom. Luckily, none of the staff recognized me.

While the rooms were nice, they were again forcing us to rough it once again. Unlike the Courtyard, this place had to audacity to charge for internet access! After an hour of unsuccessfully trying to connect to "Free Public WiFi" which I found, I made John cough up the $9.95 to gain www access. My first stop on Firefox was Yelp, to warn others of this major lodging shortcoming. I then went onto EBay to buy my daughter a 4'x12' tumbling mat. I find I have no time at work to buy such things. That's what vacation is for.

Not only did we have to pay for the internet, this place also had the dreaded one-cup coffee makers, again rendering our basket filters useless (who drinks just ONE cup!?) . Not to worry, for I have an engineering degree from Cal Poly and we take classes in food survival engineering. I quickly rigged up a prototype drip coffee system using a water bottle and a piece of cardboard from our microwave popcorn box. I named it Water Bottle Drip Coffee Maker 50000. I add "5000" to the end of all my inventions to give them a high-techy sound.

Well, the WBDCM5000 had a flaw - the filter sank down to the bottom of the bottle and allowed grounds to enter the cup. Also the lateral stability left something to be desired, plus the cardboard support device got wet. Thus the development of the... SCDCM5000 (Soda Can Drip Coffee Maker 5000). This was like step two in the Three Little Pigs - moving from cardboard and plastic to...aluminum.

The SCDCM5000 was fabricated from a club soda can by cutting off the bottom using a pair of John's toe nail scissors. The bottom section was poked with holes and taped facing the can opening of the larger section. The added aluminum flare centering system proved useful in allowing the device to be implemented on a variety of cup sizes. John agreed to test this device and was quite satisfied with its performance. I did not tell him about the toe nail scissor part.

No comments:

Post a Comment