Sunday, May 24, 2009

Major Wall Cloud au Revoir

With just seconds remaining in the 2009 storm chase, Lebron Trimble hits a late 3-pointer...from not just mid-court, but from the Denver Aiport! While awaiting my flight home, over a cup of coffee at the Pour la France cafe', I hear a rumble, then a roar as a heavy storm passes over the circus-tent-like DIA airport. It is about 2 PM and I check the radar while using the free wifi. I see a very nice deep red hook echo, right over the top of us. After finishing my coffee and blackberry scone, I saunter down to the west side of the airport. There in front of me is the best looking wall cloud I have seen all trip, including last year, and the year before.

Unfortunately, I had packed my Nikon D40 camera in my luggage, not wanting to haul it around for 5+ hours. So, without my camera, I had to rely on my Motorola cell phone camera and video. As you can see, the photos do not do the storm justice.

The alarms went off at the airport while I was filming. A tornado warning was issued. I was standing on the far southwest corner of the airport terminal. I took a couple shots, then moved out onto the parking structure to get an unobstructed view. It was a picture perfect location. If only I had kept my Nikon!
I phoned John and Scott to see if they were on it. I got voicemail, but it turned out they were north of the storm and not in the best position for seeing it. They eventually got around to the west side of DIA and got a good view. Shortly thereafter the storm went outflow on us.

An hour later I was on SWA Flight 2757, pinned between a screaming 2-year-old with a cap pistol, and a chatty lady complaining about the delay while trying to use her cell phone in flight. Home please.

No comments:

Post a Comment