Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mini Gym Showdown at Hojo's


Today started with the best chance of good (bad) weather since our arrival. There was actually a slight risk of severe with a grand 2% chance of tornadoes. But that is for the other blog.

We spent the night at the same HoJo Express. Due to an ongoing calf strain I had decided to take the day off running. Instead I headed down to the "mini gym". Mini gyms be definition are typically two to three pieces of aerobic contraptions designed to tire out the visitor. No weights or other high-insurance premium devices allowed. I needed my daily hit of endorphins so I decided to take my virgin trek on something called an elliptical machine.

There was nothing really elliptical looking about the machine. It looked like a combination of a stairmaster and cross country ski machine. What the heck, as long as it did not irritate my calf. Soon after getting on the machine, a woman began using the treadmill to my left, and some slightly overweight 30-something guy parked himself on the Lifecycle.

I was doing my best to look like I knew what I was doing, ellipticating like a pro. I was checking my heart rate for the second time when I noticed 30-something guy started picking it up on the cycle. Treadmill girl was also moving along at a nice clip. Not wanting to get left behind, I increased my ellipticating rate. 30-something shifted into a faster gear and we eyed each other.....male competitive gene kicking in!!

Both sweating profusely our eyes met again, and it happened. I bared my teeth and shouted "That all you got guy!!??" and surged into full speed. Guy responded and shifted into Lance Armstrong Jr mode and we both were neck and neck, going full out in the little mini gym. Sweat was flying and I was sure I was going nowhere faster than either of them. After about a minute of this we noticed treadmill-girl shutting down, rolling her eyes and heading for the door. I think I won.

No comments:

Post a Comment