Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 6 - Cheap Sunglasses (and Tornadoes)


Tuesday began as most days did during a storm chase. This one however, began a bit better. John and I both hoofed it about 3 miles into the town of Sterling, CO for our daily workout. After having skipped yesterday's workout we were both fresh and eager to hit it hard today. I head for the local HS track while John, ever the one-upper, heads for the local junior college fitness center. We both have most-satisfactory workouts and after laying waste to the Holiday Inn Express breakfast bar we scream south in search of thunderstorms.

The other 493 chasers are already circling the nearest cumulonimbus as we navigate south then east, then repeat, as we stairstep towards storm city. We stop in the lovely town of Eads, CO for gas and caffeine. While waiting to pay, I overhear from the clerk that the closest McDonalds is 102 miles away. I felt much safer hearing that.

Just as we had calculated, after passing through the town of Sheridan Lake, John spots a small tornado south of the road. Who names these towns anyway? Sheridan "Lake"? There isn't a natural body of water within 100 miles. Sheridan Beach would have been as appropriate, or Sheridan Woods (I think the east-Colorado State tree is firewood).

As I jump out of the car to photograph this F-something tornado, I inadvertently step on my sunglasses. Of course, who would advertently step on one's sunglasses? And why would one's sunglasses be on the floor in the first place? Of course you could assume that I stepped into the sunglasses holder on the center roof console, but that would be a bit difficult if not silly.

But I digress. Fortunately, the sunglasses were purchased at Ace Hardware in the "Daily Deals" bin for a mere $2.99. It's not like they were expensive glasses that would lead me to become distraught with their demise. Not like I spent $9.99 or something. Not like it would affect my future financial situation.

Several other tornadoes touched down
and we took pictures of them.


I went the rest of the chase without sunglasses. John had some but he did not share. it's not like you really need sunglasses when chasing under stormy skies. If it were sunny and all, then there probably were not too many tornadoes to watch, right? And whats with the UV rating on these things. They all profess to have protection up to like a gazillion UV - both UV A ...and...UV B! What about UV C? Are we going to protect our retinas from A and B all this time, then 10 years later find out UV C was the culprit?

A large wedgelike tornado appeared to form to our east. We weren't all that sure it was a real tornado, but we took pictures of it anyway; to prove we knew it was a tornado, in hindsight.

While only one lens of my $2.99 sunglasses were damaged, I figured it was not worth repairing them, or worse yet, wearing them with only one lens in place. If I were like a pirate with a patch on one eye, this might make a little sense. Of course what pirate worth his booty would wear sunglasses in the first place.

We later caught a couple other nice tornadoes then filmed some totally awesome mammatus clouds over some old shacks. (Heh-heh...I said mammatus). Of course photographing mammatus over some new tract homes would not be too photogenic. I am not sure why, but I guess old decrepit things have a special place in our hearts.

We had steak and IPA beer at the City Lights Cafe in Colby to celebrate. John ordered a Manhattan, which perplexed the waitress. He then proceeded to spill it on both his laptop and camera. DOH!!! 25 years of thunderstorms and he nearly ruins his equipment with a F-ing Manhattan!

I bought new sunglasses the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Thom,

    You HAVE to post more blogs!! I want this to be a regular feature, not just a May thing!

    ReplyDelete